Author Topic: People have money for this joke?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
People have money for this joke?
« on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonkwan/crowdfunding-rebel-alliance-x-wing-squadron?ref=category

The first one is at 225,000 pounds... which is about 355 000 USD.

I know it is all a joke and they will get refunded but wow.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: People have money for this joke?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »
How does kickstarter work? Like, do you pledge and give your credit card info at the same time?  If it meets funding it's automatically deducted?

Because a great troll would be for someone like 4chan or something to last second snipe this at the end when it's closer because assholes think it's hilarious to fake funding a fake thing (apparently?) and have all the credit cards be charged for whatever they fake pledged.

Sure, it'd be all sorted out eventually, but it'd be the ultimate grief to have some guy's credit card shut off at the gas station for suspicious activity because he thought it was the most awesome thing ever to send over $20,000 to the Death Star. 

Or maybe I'm just a dick.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 01:17:31 AM »
How does kickstarter work? Like, do you pledge and give your credit card info at the same time?  If it meets funding it's automatically deducted?

The money is not drafted from your card until the date listed on the Kickstarter page and only if it hits the funding.

Kickstarters like this usually get deleted by Kickstarter and I'm surprised it hasn't already.  Even if they don't delete it, there's no way its going to hit the goal.  Its still pretty funny though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: People have money for this joke?
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 02:17:23 AM »
Damn it!  I want to see hipster brogrammer nerds getting their cards declined.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 07:15:50 AM »
The money is not drafted from your card until the date listed on the Kickstarter page and only if it hits the funding.

Kickstarters like this usually get deleted by Kickstarter and I'm surprised it hasn't already.  Even if they don't delete it, there's no way its going to hit the goal.  Its still pretty funny though.

I'm still puzzled.  Is it really possible to get a project going on Kickstarter without any kind of screening?  This may be an obvious joke, but if it can be there long enough to draw the money it already has, I can easily see some fraud getting by long enough to get funded.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
I want to bid the $20 million just to see people freak out. I just wonder whats the worst that could happen. It's obviously a joke, it's obvious I don't have the money or intention of paying, so would KS/Amazon still get pissy about it? I mean my debit card is set up to decline any transaction over the amount on the account.

I just want to see the other bidders freak out since they are all bidding in the thousands just to joke with it, never expecting it to hit the goal.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
I'd rather these guys get my money than Anita Sarkeesian.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
I'd rather these guys get my money than Anita Sarkeesian.

Haha!  I'd contribute to a Kickstarter to depict her in every one of her hated "tropes".

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Haha!  I'd contribute to a Kickstarter to depict her in every one of her hated "tropes".

Why did I just look her up?