Author Topic: One bitcoin worth more than $100 (USD)  (Read 5609 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
One bitcoin worth more than $100 (USD)
« on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/bitcoin-value-triples-in-a-month-to-all-time-high-of-more-than-100/

I was actually thinking about buying some bitcoins a couple weeks ago when they were around $52.  Now I wish I did.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: One bitcoin worth more than $100 (USD)
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
Yeah seriously. Thats kind of nuts.

Who accepts bitcoins?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
Today is absolutely the worst day to learn something completely new (to me) like this.  I was sure it was April Fools, until I dug into it.  Wow.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
I heard recently somebody was selling their home and was accepting bitcoins as a form of payment.  That was a couple of weeks ago and that was the first time I'd heard about these bitcoins.

It's certainly an interesting concept.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »
What the fuck is a bitcoin? I'm too tired to go look.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
It's like money only its based on a computer program so its sort of imaginary.

Like money.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »
Nicely summed. That's... weird.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 04:49:40 AM »
Now one bitcoin is worth around $126 (USD).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 05, 2013, 05:34:18 AM »
$134 now.  Crazy.

I'm sure it will crash at some point soon, but I really wish I bought in a few weeks back.  I'd probably sell today.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: One bitcoin worth more than $100 (USD)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 03:21:22 AM »
They are only worth $180 now... after dropping from $265! Talk about missed opportunities...

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »
I don't understand it, so it must be destroyed!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: One bitcoin worth more than $100 (USD)
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
They are only worth $180 now... after dropping from $265! Talk about missed opportunities...

The combination of rapid fluctuation and (from my understanding) a transaction process that takes around ten minutes or so scared me off. Well, that and I still think it's a pretty flawed concept.  Well, as a currency.  As a commodity (which is all 99% of people buying bitcoins use it as) it works, sort of.  But the market is so limited that a few buyers/sellers could manipulate prices pretty easily, which is what we basically saw here.

It's pretty weird and there's no real need for it (it's claim of being inflation proof is incorrect by definition). I can't see it lasting long term, but I've certainly been wrong before. The thing is that the warnings about it having similar characteristics to some ponzi schemes are kind of valid (although I don't for a second believe it was set up with malicious intent).  It's interesting, but as of right now it's just a commodity market for a digital trinket.  Well, unless you buy drugs online or really hate the idea of governments controlling the money supply (note that there are very legitimate reasons why governments control money supplies).

Edit:  It's interesting to note two things about the recent price volatility:

1.) a big theory is that the sudden surge in value was (at least partially) due to the financial crisis in Cyprus. With assets being siezed/frozen and government sanctions on wiring money out of country, Bitcoin was used as a loophole. Again, it's a very small market, there's a finite amount of Bitcoins, demand drove up the price and speculators jumped on board.

2.) The crash is partially blamed on an organized DDoS attack.  First of all, supporters of the concept say this as a way to negate the criticisms of volatility, but they're inadvertently pointing out a huge flaw.  Secondly, most seem to think that the "DDoS attack" was actually just legitimate server overload as some big players cashed out at their ideal price point.  They cash out massive amounts, the price starts to drop, speculators start cashing out, market gets more flooded and the price drops further. There's a lag present in all transactions (why it's almost useless as a point of exchange currency), but I believe you can still set sell markers so if it hits a certain price you can dump your holdings.  These probably weren't affected by the increased lag from all the activity and more holdings were sold off as the price plummeted.  Supporters again state that buy transactions couldn't go through (again, this isn't really a good defense in any case) which would have stabilized the price. In reality, a lot of people don't set sell points (at least with real currencies/commodities/stocks) because it can be problematic in certain situations so chances are that a lot of sellers couldn't get through either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »
Anything they can't control needs to be destroyed, apparently.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
Or anything that's making someone else money.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
I haven't looked into this in-depth, but it looks like a lot of these stories of the seizure are over-hyped. Appartently, the company that owns the biggest exchange specifically ticked a box on their paperwork saying they weren't transferring money from one currency to another, which is essentially exclusively what they're doing.

I think it sounded like they just needed to file the right paperwork.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 01:59:07 AM »
I got into bitcoin in 2011, gave some money to a friend to buy me some, and we set up a computer to mine. Now I apparently have over $10,000 worth of them. Huh. Guess I'll buy some stuff from the Silk Road?
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
Hahaha.Well, more legit places are taking it now.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 12:28:22 AM »
Hahaha.Well, more legit places are taking it now.

Yeah, I saw this article about businesses here in Vancouver that are taking them. Fascinating! I can buy lots of dinners now.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
And Bitcoin has experienced a "small" crash: Lost half it's value overnight last night, meaning it's worth about a third of what it was mid-November.  The cause behind it is that China basically just said "Fuck you" and somehow regulated that payment providers couldn't essentially act as banks, basically meaning that they can't take yuan deposits and convert them into Bitcoin.  I have no idea how they specifically regulated this but the fact is that Bitcoin has plummeted as a result and the top thread on /r/bitcoin right now is a link to the suicide hotline.

Could it rally?  For sure, but as a currency it's pretty useless if it's deflationary, somewhat volatile, AND China won't touch it.  As a commodity (which, lets not kid ourselves - is what  it really is at this point), it still works, but it's still just a non-utility based commodity which now has a huge market locked out. Should be interesting at least.