Author Topic: Guacamelee: a Mexoidvania?  (Read 2862 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Guacamelee: a Mexoidvania?
« on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »

Comes out today on PSN for PS3 and Vita. You all have Vitas, right? Anyway, its getting some high marks so it might be something to check out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Guacamelee: a Mexoidvania?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
Sweet!

Btw, Sony is getting major props from indie devs for their relatively new found appreciation for indie games and facilitating indie games on Sony's systems. So, yay! This gives my Vita a chance at life!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
This looks pretty sweet. I could always use some Metroidvania and I dig the style. Plus, it actually has a soundtrack. That has been a major problem for the last couple of Metroidy games (Shadow Planet, Outland).

People are apparently railing on the game because it uses a lot of references of memes and other games in the background art. I don't get why that's so bad. The game obviously has a voice of its own, all the references are stylized, and are just kind of silly background elements that seem to appear mostly in town. People claim it's lazy, but I think it adds a certain amount of charm. It's like saying the game's world exist in squarely in the world of games. Is that so bad?

Also: Wall jumps are called goat jumps. I can get behind that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 19, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »
Game is pretty sweet! The references are awesome and hilarious. Kudos to Drinkbox for making this game and pulling it off as they did!

Btw, if you buy the PS3 version you get the Vita version as well as part of Sony's "Cross-buy" initiative. Phenomenal move from Sony.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
I picked this up when it was on special sale on Humble Store. Its pretty damn awesome. A metroidvania brawler that actually requires you to pay attention instead of simple button mashing. Great music, great art, and yeah I like the little jokes thrown around. They aren't really in your face about it and I'm sure I've missed a ton, but I've gotten a few chuckles when I do notice them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
PS, voted for it as the next community spotlight game on Steam. If it wins it'll only be $3.75. Soooo worth it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »
PS, voted for it as the next community spotlight game on Steam. If it wins it'll only be $3.75. Soooo worth it.

It won. 7.5 hours left to snag it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 06:47:14 AM »
Totally snagged it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Last night I spent an hour trying to get through Tree Tops. This morning I blast through it in 10 minutes. Rest of the game should be easy compared to that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 27, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
That was a really satisfying game. Beat it, then went back and got 100% and beat the boss again for the extra ending. Only thing I didn't complete were the challenge rooms that were DLC on consoles. Did a few of them and might try the rest, I dunno. Some of those seem super hard.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 29, 2013, 05:15:26 AM »
I picked it up on one of the steam flash sales, may play this soon, though I'm currently knee deep in Hotline Miami.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 12:23:35 AM »
I was able to get gold in 10 of the challenge rooms so I unlocked all the costumes. Aww yeah.