Author Topic: I'm going awesome  (Read 4663 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
I'm going awesome
« on: Sunday, April 21, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
So, Que recently posted a thread saying he's going/gone vegan.  That's pretty cool and inspirational. Now, being a dirty bloodmouth (thank you for teaching me that word), I'd never be able to take on that kind of self sacrifice.  I can, however, get more awesome.

The last couple of years have been pretty hectic.  My dad has what's known as some form of Parkinson-Plus which has progressed pretty rapidely to the point where I was playing squash with him two years ago and now he's completely dependent on outside help for pretty much everything.  It's been a pretty big time sink and moderately depressing.

At the same time, I was working a job for the last couple of years which was somewhat rewarding and pretty high paying, but required a shit ton of time investment and commute.

The end result is that I've been slipping.  I haven't been working out, I haven't been running, and I haven't been eating the best. While I can still fire off one-handed pushups in the bar with the best of them, I don't look nearly as awe-inspiring without my shirt on as I should.

Which sucks balls because I'm at a new job now and have way more free time...AND shirts-off season is just around the corner...which means massive changes must be made. Just as Que proposes to not eat anything with a face or pulse or something I propose to fast track to becoming awesome again:

1.) Gym every morning on an alternating schedule of legs/core and then arms/chest/back.  No less than five times a week.
2.) Running again.  I've been breaking into it again by hitting 3Ks 3 times a week for the last couple of weeks, now I just have to ramp it up so I'm hitting the double digits again.
3.) Interval training.  Running is great, but distance running is incredibly time-intensive. I figure I can cut a run in half (6k instead of 12) and throw an adequate number of interval sprints on the end in order to maximize returns.
4.)Playing golf.  This is totally unrelated, but I'd like to get good at golf.  I currently absolutely suck balls.  Help me with this.
5.) Quit smoking. This starts tomorrow. Honestly, I've never had a problem quitting for extended periods of time and have typically dealt with minimal/non-existant withdraw symptoms (except driving is way more boring), but that's pretty dangerous because it makes it really easy to start again because you don't have that "I've overcome!" mentality and instead just figure you'll stop again after that badass cabin weekend.  I intend to stop for good now, starting immediately. 
6.) Casual weekday beers are cut. Social events/dates....sure. Sitting around at home? No.

I didn't really post this for any reason other than to have a record that I intend to do this floating around. Historically, I've always made gains in fitness remarkably quickly, so I have high hopes.  Nevertheless, I'm hella older now.  Wish me luck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: I'm going awesome
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
Good luck, bro. I've started running again too and I'm already distraught by how out of shape I have become. Still not stopping though ;)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: I'm going awesome
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 03:32:41 AM »
I started eating less, eating somewhat healthier, and running daily about 3 weeks ago. I have already noticed a pretty big difference in my physique though I don't know how much weight I have lost.

I am planning on running a half marathon in January and so far I'm only up to about 5K. I have a long way to go, but I have time and I will get there. As long as my ankle cooperates, because it has been killing me the last few days. I might run on the elliptical today to give it a bit of rest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »
Awesome dude. Do that shit! I've got a number of similar goals aside from dietary stuff as well because I too am not currently at the level of awesome that I should be.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
If you didn't run in the past then you should probably start with something else now. Something with less impact on the joints. This is directed towards everyone and not gpw11.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: I'm going awesome
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
If you didn't run in the past then you should probably start with something else now. Something with less impact on the joints. This is directed towards everyone and not gpw11.

Or start off by running on pretty much anything but pavement. At least that's my understanding of it.

Also, I've seemed to develop a deathly fear that I have receding gums, which was a problem I had when younger but countered by using an electric toothbrush.  Not sure what to do now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
Or start off by running on pretty much anything but pavement. At least that's my understanding of it.

Also, I've seemed to develop a deathly fear that I have receding gums, which was a problem I had when younger but countered by using an electric toothbrush.  Not sure what to do now.
Stop smoking crack! JK :P Brushing habits help but I'd advise paying a visit to a periodontist to get it checked out.

When it comes to running steer clear of pavements, cement, or streets, go for grass! If you can't you can get some knee and ankle supports to cushion the pressure.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
I've been running on a gravel trail but I took a few days off because my femur or some deep quad muscle was hurting in my left leg. Yesterday I ran on my elliptical and I will probably do that today and tomorrow as well. After that it will be back to the trail because running for real works my hamstrings and gluteus maximus much more than the elliptical.

My ankle has been fine since my last post.

I'm set to run a 5K next weekend.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
What distance are you running now and what's your height/weight?  I've been pretty lucky in that I've never really had any problems with running injuries/shin splints, but I've heard they can be a bitch.  A lot of it seems to be just body type - my taller friends have nothing but problems with their knees/shins when they run heavily.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 04:42:24 AM »
I'm running about 3 mi now.  I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs. (I was about 195 when I started 3 - 4 weeks ago).  Oh, and I broke my elliptical. The rubber ripped off part of one of the wheels and it has a big flat spot now.  Very rough and very distracting.  And a replacement wheel is $90!
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2013, 06:24:21 AM by scottws »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
I'm running about 3 mi now.  I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs. (I was about 195 when I started 3 - 4 weeks ago).  Oh, and I broke my elliptical. The rubber ripped off part of one of the wheels and it has a big flat spot now.  Very rough and very distraction.  And a replacement wheel is $90!
You might be better off buying a new one. It's more expensive but it'll last longer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 06:42:13 AM »
I don't know.  $90 is a lot for a wheel, but it is a lot less than $1000+.  I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money right now, not after buying a new couch, entertainment center, preparing to entertain my brothers for a week, and having to buy new tires.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
haha this just reminds me how fucking expensive grown up life is.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 05, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

Cools is very smart and we should all listen to his very smart advice.  I've been firing off three k runs a day more or less for the last couple of weeks, took Friday off and went out for a six k yesterday, extremely hung over.  I took it pretty easy and slow.  Yet, a few hours later I was limping and still am.

It could just be a really bad foot cramp from running dehydrated and the after effects of that, but I'm at least slightly worried that it's an impact fracture.  Take it easy out there, gentlemen.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 06, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
After talking at length to my running guru sister (four half-marathons under her belt) and evaluating my own symptoms, I am suffering from inflamed iliotibial ("i.t.") bands and I need to rest more, ice them, learn better stretching routines, and get a foam roller to help calm down the bands. She says I'll be fine. That's good because right now I'm down to running no more than twice a week due to the pain.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 06, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
After talking at length to my running guru sister (four half-marathons under her belt) and evaluating my own symptoms, I am suffering from inflamed iliotibial ("i.t.") bands and I need to rest more, ice them, learn better stretching routines, and get a foam roller to help calm down the bands. She says I'll be fine. That's good because right now I'm down to running no more than twice a week due to the pain.

Running is the weirdest thing in the world.  I used to run far too much  - like 8-12k four days a week, one day off, 12-16 on Saturday then Sunday off (maybe) and serious runners were always amazed that I wasn't injuring myself, especially considering I was also working out 4-5 days a week. And now I'm laid up after a 6k easy run and (worst case scenario) out weeks or months. The only thing I can think of is that I'm in substantially worse shape and don't have the extra leg muscle to work as a shock absorber, especially when fatigue sets in.  Or it's just a total fluke - no idea.

I'm really really still hoping it's not a stress fracture, and the standard self tests aren't showing any signs, but apparently a lot of cases can't be determined without an x-ray. So, I guess I'm looking at swimming, pool running, stationary biking for a bit, because I really need to do some kind of cardio here.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
I've gone substantially less awesome since the weekend and my foot being injured.  Haven't gone to the gym this week because I run there (bad excuse) and I'm also still smoking and drinking like a champ.  Time for a reboot tomorrow!