Author Topic: EA Abandoning Online Pass Feature  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
EA Abandoning Online Pass Feature
« on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
EA Abandoning Online Pass Feature

Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch? The controversial Online Pass witch! Well, at least for EA games anyway as the publisher has announced that it is abandoning the feature going forward.

EA’s senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg confirmed the discontinuation of the Online Pass feature to Venture Beat. “Yes, we’re discontinuing Online Pass,” he said. “None of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

According to Reseburg, EA launched the program ”As an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

I had to read it twice in case my eyes were skipping words. Apparently EA has seen the light!

I have been bitching at EA for roughly the past two months straight. Since I bought Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel explicitly to play online with a friend of mine in Brunei (he loves the game, and I love co-op) it has yet to work at all. The game's multiplayer AND singleplayer are tied to an online pass! That's right, certain singleplayer features are bound by it as well. The game will not allow me to access the armory, customize my mask, or even save my character progress without the online pass. To my dismay, and many other players in the region (Region 2, Middle East), the online pass fails to register and for the few of us who caved and thought we could just buy another one, we can't do that either. No online pass can be found on the PSN/SEN Store despite the game suggesting that you buy one when the existing one fails to register. According to EA's AnswerHQ support response, if the online pass is not working we should return the game to the point of sale and get a refund, however all major retailers in the region have a policy that if a software product with "a serial key" has been opened it cannot be returned. The irony of course is "how would you know it's defective without opening it?" EA AnswerHQ have also implied that the problem may be due to Sony's PSN/SEN Store's lacking support for Region 2. Sony have yet to respond to my inquiries.

Anyway, after about 55 days of daily communication (and, let's face it, outright bitching) on AnswerHQ, EA live support, and Sony Support, I am greeted with this headline! I feel.. somewhat elated but at the same time still unsatisfied.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: EA Abandoning Online Pass Feature
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
"Instead we will just shut down all our game servers within one year of release instead of two."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 18, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »
"Instead we will just shut down all our game servers within one year of release instead of two."
Yeah, EA has been criticized over shuttering so many servers over the past couple of years. It's a nickel/dime cost-cutting measure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 18, 2013, 03:19:58 AM »
Translation: "Online pass going away b/c all future games on PC & consoles will use always online DRM." ;)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 18, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »
Well, the official word from Sony is that this won't be the case, D.  If I get another console in the future, it will most likely be the PS4.  Just a few more days now to the neXtbox reveal.  Hopefully we'll have better information then for future decisions.