Author Topic: CliffyB vs Used Games  (Read 3046 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
CliffyB vs Used Games
« on: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
CliffyB took to twitter and said some really stupid shit.

You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.
The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs.
Newsflash. This is why you’re seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling.
Those of you telling me “then just lower game budgets” do understand how silly you sound, right?

Let all that sink in for a moment. But never fear, Jim Sterling isn't having any of that shit.
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," says Cliff Bleszinski.

"Good," says I. I'll take the used games and rentals. Let the videogame equivalent of inbred aristocracies wither and fucking rot.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: CliffyB vs Used Games
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
It's typical big company mentality. Basically, if you want to have these awesome games, we must keep increasing the budget, so pay more through DLCs, monthly payments, etc. But who says we even want all these big budget games in the first place? Not to mention that there are more people playing games now and no matter what they say making great games is now easier than ever thanks to more mature development toolkits.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: CliffyB vs Used Games
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Goddamn it,  I really don't like Jim Sterling.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: CliffyB vs Used Games
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Anyone who writes, "says I" is a fucking douche-bag.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Re: CliffyB vs Used Games
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
Goddamn it,  I really don't like Jim Sterling.

OK, but what is wrong with what he said this time?  It looks perfectly reasonable to me.  It places the blame squarely where it lies.  Blaming property rights for the industry's troubles should make everyone with a brain shake their heads.