Author Topic: Remember how I would regularly post about the latest video cards?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Remember how I would regularly post about the latest video cards?
« on: Saturday, July 06, 2013, 04:18:26 AM »
I haven't done that in ages I realized. I then realized I stopped following PC hardware a little after I was done building my last system. I haven't been to Tom's Hardware in years and Anandtech looks a lot like Engadget now.

Strange how although PC gaming is probably the most popular it has ever been, PC hardware seems to matter less. You can anything good on most rigs. That's probably a good thing, though I am sure it will change again when cutting edge games start releasing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Remember how I would regularly post about the latest video cards?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 06, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
The tides seem to come and go with the console generations. As much as I hate to admit it, consoles are pretty much dictating the technology threshold within a given time frame. Games are frequently developed with the consoles in mind first, then get ported to PC. That said, PC will always have the edge; in terms of the current generation the PC counterparts often sport additional options like higher resolutions, better quality textures, etc.

This trend has resulted in a very slow progression, not quite a standstill, in PC hardware as well consumer interest in it. Frankly, I felt it was a much needed hiatus from annual upgrades. Pretty soon, we'll all start to feel the itch for new tech and the hardware that can pump it out at high framerates on our screens. With the next gen consoles around the corner that time is coming fast.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 06, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
Yeah until games start really pushing it again theres no real reason to upgrade. And on one hand thats great. I built my system years ago and it can still play pretty much everything.

The release of next gen systems will be interesting to see how it affects PC stuff.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Remember how I would regularly post about the latest video cards?
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 06, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
I'm still basically on my same PC I built back in 2007. I replaced the motherboard when my original got fried and I did finally upgrade from my 8800 GTS to another video card. Nothing new though; I bought it used off of a coworker when he upgraded his video card. It's some sort of Radeon a generation or two old.

I can't do max setting on any new games but I don't struggle playing any games at all.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 06, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
That long-running console generation has done PC gaming quite a few favours.

Nvidia have been relatively active though, they jsut released their new GeForce 7xx series cards, and even one that doesn't bear the numerals dubbed the GTX Titan. AMD have made some announcements but I think we've yet to see the new (presumably) Radeon HD 8xxx series.