Author Topic: PS Vita TV: The home console Vita  (Read 2036 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
PS Vita TV: The home console Vita
« on: Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
Now that's interesting.

A tiny little console version of the Vita. Has a slot to accept retail games and of course it will play downloaded games as well. Also plays PSP and PS1 games. All on your HDTV. $100.

A pretty cool move, honestly. I will be very tempted to buy one when it comes stateside. The main drawback is if a game requires you to use the Vitas touchscreen functions then you won't be able to play it on here. I don't know how many games that might affect.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: PS Vita TV: The home console Vita
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:49:14 AM »
Funky!

The touchscreen control issue would definitely affect some games that require touch like LittleBigPlanet. Some other games make the touchscreen optional, like in Uncharted: Golden Abyss, where it's your choice to use the tactile controls or use the gimmicky touch controls.

I am curious about the PS Vita TV, especially at that price point.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 09, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
Some games maybe they can patch to support this. For example, that Uncharted card game uses dpad and buttons for everything...except when actually playing. But dpad to select a card and then X to play it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

It will be interesting to see how this thing does. If its popular then wemay see more and more Vita games have optional or no touch functions. But since it will eventually pair with a PS4 controller and it has a touchpad...maybe something will happen there? But this could become "lead Vita platform" for developers. With the big indie push Sony is doing plus that $100 price point...this is a major blow to Ouya and those other upcoming Android consoles.

As for me...I can play the Muramasa remake on my TV? Yes please.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
Still sounds kinda cool to me. Bummer about the compatibility issues because of the touchscreen.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
Maybe Nintendo should do something like this.  A console that plays games from several systems, including both portable and TV-bound.  Piggyback the ailing WiiU on the success of the DS and 3DS?  There'd be worse touchscreen issues, though--unless they use the WiiU pad?  Just wishful thinking, especially now that I'd love to play the new Zelda game on this screen I'm staring at (rather than a miniature handheld I haven't even bought).

This really does look very cool.  If I had a Vita and a decent library, I'd be begging for its release here.  My guess is that Sony will test the waters at home first, and see just how cold they are before swimming out to sea.