Author Topic: Nintendo Defense Force Unite!: The Wii U and 3DS thread  (Read 8132 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Nintendo Defense Force Unite!: The Wii U and 3DS thread
« on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »
So yeah, after actively mocking both the 3DS and Wii U platform, I have it on good authority I will get a 3DS for Christmas, and really want a Wii U.  Well played, Nintendo.  Well played.

Both are sort of beginning to hit their stride, and it appears that when you aren't forced into using a control scheme that doesn't work the first party titles can still be fun!

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 01:38:55 PM by K-man »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Nintendo Defense Force Unite!: The Wii U and 3DS thread
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
Nintendo is griefing me with it's street pass system, and I don't own anything they've made in the last 10 years. My mom and brother both have 3DS systems and every time we go anywhere they want to stop by every McDonald's around for the 6 free street passes. They don't ever buy any food (none of us care for McDonald's), we just sit in the parking lot until the systems get their street passes.

The free game thing sounds cool though. I'd jump on that deal if I was more interested in the system.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
I really would like to pick up both at some point as well.  I want the 3DS more than the Wii U at this point but that will probably change when the new Xenoblade game comes out for the WiiU. I actually own three 3DS games that I bought for collector's editions (SMT IV, SMT Soul Hackers, and Code of Princess) but no 3DS because I am a sad, sad man.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
A Link Between Worlds will no doubt sell me a 3DS, eventually.  The WiiU still has no love from me, though.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
I watched the Giant Bomb quicklooks of Mario 3D and Zelda.

Zelda looks great even if it's using the same worldmap from LttP. I may even take back my reservations that more or less giving you access to all the equipment from the get go. It didn't seem that it made the dungeons more generic and actually seemed to make things more intricate, but I don't really see the point in the renting thing. If nothing it just adds a little bit of a meaningless abstraction. There also seems to be something in the apparent repetition of LttP within the story which is a great. That's something of a theme in Zelda at this point and there might be something to embracing it. It's hard to say more without playing but I definitely want it.

Mario just looks alright though. I know they were avoiding the more interesting levels for the sake of people who want to experience things for themselves but it just looked like a lot of simple running and jumping in short levels. I'm pretty sure I can wait on that. It got me thinking though. What if Nintendo went balls out and made an open world Mario with a map style similar to Dark Souls. If Dark Souls in any indication you can fit the general variety of Mario style worlds in a single cohesive map. You could throw tons of platforming in there to get around, hide a hundred or so stars, a few warp pipes to smaller more abstract courses, and have bosses all over the place. I think something like that happened I'd be back on the Mario train.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
I will be buying either a Wii U or a 3DS at some point.

I want both the new Mario and Zelda but can probably hold out for a bit. If a new Metroid comes out then it's game over.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
Just a note on the deal Kman mentions at the top. This is only for UK residents.

Looks like us Yankee's are out.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
Yeah I have removed it.

Bummer

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
Now you can virtually tour the Louvre with your 3DS. Which is actually pretty cool looking.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 28, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
Well I believe I've justified my recent purchase.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
3DS FRIEND CODES! POST EM!

0533-5578-7263

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
So if anyone is interested I can write up a little tutorial to download 3D videos off youtube and play them back on 3DS. I converted one video so far that worked real well. When I get back to the book store and I can leech off their wifi I'll grab some more videos to play with.

Strangely there is an official Youtube app for the 3DS you can download, but it doesn't play 3D videos.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 09, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
3DS got a nice update.
Main changes for version 7.0.0-13U

Update Released: December 9th, 2013

Added support for Nintendo Network IDs
    Added support for Miiverse
    Added a Software Update Notification
    Removed the limit to system transfers
    Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu to require pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously
    Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
So now your Wii and 3DS eshop accounts are merged into a single account, access to Miiverse (weee!), no more accidentally going into the camera every time you pick up your device, and no more limit on system transfers! Not that I plan on needing to use that last one, but for you obsessive types that buy 3 different versions of the same console...there you go.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
Wife and I decided to give each other our big gifts last night. Mine was a Zelda edition Wii U with the new Mario hotness. Got all my stuff transferred over from the old wii last night.

Wind Waker looks great. I've been wanting to replay it for a while. No better time than now!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
I've had some time to play around with the console, but not much.

First of all, Nintendo is making a mistake by not pushing the functionality of the touchscreen game pad.  The fact that you can throw the game over to the gamepad exclusively is HUGE.  Wife's watching TV and you want to play?  No big deal.  Some games do require the use of both screens simultaneously so they do not work.  Until a week or two ago I thought most Wii U games still used the Wii remote.  Could use better marketing for sure.

Everything in the menu is a breeze to navigate with the touch screen.  It makes you realize how cumbersome the wii remote actually was.

Wind Waker is beautiful.  The game library is getting there but it's going to be another console generation where Nintendo has some amazing first party titles but no third party support to speak of.  Given how long it takes me to finish games that may very well work out just fine for me.  By the time I get through the Christmas gets Dark Souls II will be here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »
The press this system is getting has been all negative lately.  Its future looks bleak.  And even the first-party stuff won't get me to buy so far.  The Wind Waker revamp would be on my list of things to get after a price drop, if I owned the system already.  But I've played the original to death.  It will never sell me a new console.  How's the new Mario game?  I never even bought Galaxy 2 for the Wii.  That system became too much of a doorstop for me to give even its best newer games a chance.

Yes, the Wiimote is more pain than pleasure.  Nintendo should have stressed the new controller's advantages a lot more, particularly dispensing with waggle.

Edit:  Don't get me wrong.  I'm jealous of your Christmas present.  You still get big ones.  I remember those days.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Seems more and more people I know are interested in getting one.  Will that translate into large holiday sales?  Who knows.  But I haven't heard this much buzz surrounding the console since it hit last year.

I'd say some of the negativity is warranted, but it really is a nice system and i absolutely see the potential.  It's up to Nintendo to utilize it though.  So far they have failed miserably.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
It has been sorta funny. Just after Mario 3D World released and the PS4/Xbone were just launching there were a bunch of really positive articles saying the WiiU was the console to get this holiday. Then the next gen systems release and everyone is like "Fuck Nintendo! I can play Knack..."

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
I'm not seeing any reason at this point to get any one of them.  As I expected, the new tech suffers quite a bit from diminishing returns.  It's just not that much better than the current gen.  So it gets back to basics--the games--and they're not here yet.  As tempting as these boxes may be as Christmas me-to-me presents, I will wait for the game libraries to build up, and the rest of the kinks to get ironed out.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
So eshop cards were (are?) on sale at Best Buy, so I picked up a $20 card to grab some eshop sales.

Attack of the Friday Monsters: I'm just going to steal Patrick Klepeks explanation.
Sohta is the 10-year-old at the heart of the game, and his family has just recently moved to a suburb of Tokyo to start a clothes cleaning business. Sohta’s father is clumsy and not particularly good at his job, and it’s clear he feels as though he’s disappointed his son with his choice of career. Washing clothes is not something Sohta can brag about at school, and the townsfolk whose clothes don’t come out perfect pick on poor Sohta. Much of the game is spent exploring a very tiny area over and over again, talking with characters, making new friends, collecting card pieces that are used in an entertaining variation of rock-paper-scissors, and trying to find the secret of Sohta’s new town. What he learns is heartwarming and not the least bit epic, underscored by the game's fascination about how children perceive reality compared to adults.

And, gosh, it’s just charming and beautiful and you want to hug it from start to finish. There’s nothing else quite like it, and the description of “life simulation” I’ve seen attached to it is alarmingly appropriate. Some of us use games to escape from our own lives, but the lives we decide to escape to are, sadly, limited. Reveling in the normalness of others can be riveting, too.
It's hard to go into much detail because the game is fairly short and its better to experience it for yourself, but I can confirm it is certainly an experience worth having. Currently on sale for $5.

Crimson Shroud: I thought the setup for this one was interesting so I took a risk, and so far it's paid off. Crimson Shroud feels more like a tabletop roleplaying game than most other RPGs. Cute details like characters not animating, instead being shown in various poses on a small stand, just like the miniatures you'd use on the tabletop. You move around the dungeon a room at a time, maybe getting into a fight, maybe not. The rooms are not detailed in textures and models but in their descriptions. It's fun to see how a little door model can be transformed with just a few lines of text into a sturdy but worn gatekeeper, shut solidly from the other side.

Story is also told tabletop style rather than elaborate cutscenes. Combat so far seems pretty decent, and you can use dice to influence outcomes. Characters don't level so every upgrade you get is going to come in the form of new armor and weapons. Anyway, it's a really cool game I would suggest checking out. If my description doesn't convince you maybe the fact that Yasumi Matsuno, who worked on Vagrant Story, FFXII, FF Tactics, designed this one. This is also currently on sale for $5.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »
I'm not seeing any reason at this point to get any one of them.  As I expected, the new tech suffers quite a bit from diminishing returns.  It's just not that much better than the current gen.  So it gets back to basics--the games--and they're not here yet.  As tempting as these boxes may be as Christmas me-to-me presents, I will wait for the game libraries to build up, and the rest of the kinks to get ironed out.

Wholeheartedly agree with you.  I just find there's finally enough in Nintendo's platforms to bite.

I'm absolutely fine with seeing how the other two shake out, then deciding from there.  Since I doubtfully will have the luxury of owning both platforms this generation I'm fine with patiently waiting to see who is my personal victor.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 20, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
Ouch.

President Satoru Iwata said the maker of video-game machines is considering a new business model after forecasting a surprise 25 billion-yen ($240 million) annual loss because of tepid demand for the Wii U.

Nintendo fell the most in more than 12 years in the U.S. yesterday. The company had previously projected profit of 55 billion yen for the year ending March as it counted on Christmas shoppers to revive sales of the Wii U console featuring games with iconic characters Mario and Zelda. Nintendo cut its forecasts for Wii U console sales to 2.8 million units from 9 million and for Wii U game sales to 19 million units from 38 million.
Forecast a 55 billion yen profit and it ends up being a 25 billion yen loss. That's a whole new level of missing the mark.

I wonder what will come out of this. What "new business model" is Nintendo going to come up with?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
Some analysts keep telling them to go 3rd party.  If they do that, I hope it means consoles and not frigging telephones.  Mario and Zelda without controllers would be a tragedy.  So far, Iwata is firmly opposing that.  But how long can he last in that job after his recent performance?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Some analysts keep telling them to go 3rd party.  If they do that, I hope it means consoles and not frigging telephones.  Mario and Zelda without controllers would be a tragedy.  So far, Iwata is firmly opposing that.  But how long can he last in that job after his recent performance?
I understand Nintendo's perspective on the subject. It's not purely a philosophical issue; if they go third-party they risk losing hardware sales since their first-party titles are the major attraction. I can't imagine the 3DS/DS/WiiU sales going up if if people can get Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, or Pokémon games anywhere else.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
Oh, I'm not advocating the 3rd-party thing.  Not at all.  I hope they power through this, and stay Nintendo as we know them.  If they go the Sega route, they may as well just throw in the towel.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
The problem is that they just don't have a pulse on what consumers want in a console.  Pretty much no one except maybe parents with young kids want only a Nintendo console so they are at best secondary.  With $500 consoles, the days are pretty much gone when people had all the major ones, or one of the major ones and the Nintendo one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »
Wired has a different take on the doom and gloom going around.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks for that, idol.  Great read.  A new term for me: "argumentum ad temperantiam".  Love it.  It so perfectly fits my attitude toward compromise between what's right and what gets pushed on you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »
I agree with that article but also find it kind of ridiculous that people just jump to mobile being the answer.  Nintendo is more or less in a position most companies would love to be in: They have a set of IPs that people will pay for time and time again, they have a dedicated fanbase that will buy their hardware no matter what, and they have years of history and nostalgia they can tap into for sales: they pretty much raised a generation.  Nintendo's problem isn't that they can't cut it in the hardware market, Nintendo's problem is that they have been wearing blinders for the last 10-15 years and have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world.  Sony, Microsoft, and Steam have made major advancements and it seems like Nintendo just fucking realised that they can connect to the internet and use it for something other than weather reports.  But they're still pretty much on the Dreamcast level of connectivity and features. 

-They need to unify their accounts and treat them like every other company does.  They JUST unified Nintnedo accounts in December so that if you use the Wii U and a 3DS you can use the same Nintendo account with both of them (AWESOME!).  So now you have one account with one ballance...how it was ever different is mind boggling.  But, and here's the thing, as far as I know purchases are still tied to the hardware serial and not the account.  Great Nintendo.  You JUST overhauled your system to 2005 standards (if even). 

-I've heard their online pricing for their Eshop is ridiculous, but can't really say

-Nintendo has completely bucked any significant hardware trend for generations.  They've innovated, which is great, but they've also stagnated in key categories and been at least a generation behind in those areas, leading to problems with cross platform gaming and appearing less appealing to the consumers.  Sure, the motion controls of the Wii were a great idea (the execution for most games is another matter), but I have no idea how they didn't see the importance of HD when everyone else did. 

-Constantly behind the hardware curve.  Sure, you don't need all that power for great games, and I think we all get that philosophy, but you'd think Nintendo would have an easier time selling their console if it was more comparable to Sony or Microsoft's latest offerings.  Not just because people like things to look at, but because one thing has consistently been chipping away at Nintendo's market appeal since the N64: they are ALWAYS the console on the market with the weakest library of games. They have all these great franchises, but that's pretty much all they have : 6-10 games a generation that you know you'll want to play.  Want to play any sports game not staring Mario?  Fuck you.  Want to play any racing game not in a kart? Fuck you. The latest multiplatform title taking all the consoles by storm?  Well, all the OTHER consoles at least.  Of course, part of this is because the market share just isn't there to make it worth it.  I mean, it was with the Wii but no one was buying games.  But a large part is because Nintendo is always in it's own hardware category which necessitates a completely different game being developed. Usually a completely different, shittier version.

Honestly, Nintendo just needs to sit back and actually compete rather than throw in the towel and I have no idea why everyone always just jumps all the way to them waving the white flag.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
Nintendo's problem isn't that they can't cut it in the hardware market, Nintendo's problem is that they have been wearing blinders for the last 10-15 years and have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world.

THIS.

The fact that the people designing Nintendo's online network had no knowledge of Sony or MS' network because they hadn't experienced it is inexcusable.  Maybe you want to check out your competitor's product and see maybe why people enjoy it?

Make cross play available between 3ds/wii u with VC purchases.  Release the damn library of VC games you already ported to Wii.  This isn't rocket science, it can't be THAT hard to port.

Make your online system more robust and at least up to 360 standards. 

Market your console/games appropriately.  I didn't even know what wonderful 101 was until I bought it on sale.  And I am loving it.

Nintendo is about 10-15 EASY changes away from making the Wii U a much more viable platform.  It's just infuriating that I can see it and a company worth billions cannot.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Friday, February 14, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »
I don't know why everyone is panicking about Nintendo. Journalists calling the end of Nintendo are crazy and just attractive want bylines.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Friday, February 14, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
The Level-5 Guild eshop games are on sale again, this time for $2.99 each.

Bugs vs Tanks, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, Starship Damery, Aero Porter

I might grab Starship Damery this go around. If you don't get Crimson Shroud then you are a bad person and should feel bad.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: Friday, February 14, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
The Level-5 Guild eshop games are on sale again, this time for $2.99 each.

Bugs vs Tanks, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, Starship Damery, Aero Porter

I might grab Starship Damery this go around. If you don't get Crimson Shroud then you are a bad person and should feel bad.

I ended up getting Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, and Starship Damrey.  I can't wait to jump into them.

Speaking of the Level-5 Guild games, Weapon Shop de Omasse got announced for a US release for Feb 20th on the Nintendo Direct yesterday.  It looks pretty awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Friday, February 14, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Yeah, happy that one is coming out here. I'm totally going to grab it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 14, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
I don't know why everyone is panicking about Nintendo. Journalists calling the end of Nintendo are crazy and just attractive want bylines.

I tend to agree.  Click-baiting seems to be the latest strategy to get ad dollars.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Re: Nintendo Defense Force Unite!: The Wii U and 3DS thread
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
I tend to agree.  Click-baiting seems to be the latest strategy to get ad dollars.

Unfortunately, the news is a business and money talks like in any other industry. Many people don't value in depth, accurate news coverage any more.