Author Topic: Xbox One vs PS4  (Read 11986 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Xbox One vs PS4
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
$60 for a controller.  Not that $40 is cheap, but damn.

I seldom have someone else play to play with on the 360, but a 2nd controller has become more or less mandatory with all the stuff you can do in splitscreen in both Borderlands games.  I imagine there are others, but these two have consumed so much of my gaming time it's ridiculous.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
$60!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
I think the Dual Shock 4 is $60 as well.

I think I just dismissed the idea of a second controller because of what happened with my 360. I asked my brother when I bought it if he wanted to do some coop with me, as we were gonna be sitting around in the house for like a week once it came. He said yes, so I bought a second controller. To this day he has never played anything on 360. Though the second controller did end up being my PC controller, and if that becomes possible with the Xbox One controller I wouldn't mind having one for my PC.

It's just hard to justify $60 when that could buy a new game. If I had the $60 I'd probably go for it right now just because I'm without. It's not that I don't have anything to play, it's just that I have new games I can't touch right now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »
I think I just dismissed the idea of a second controller because of what happened with my 360. I asked my brother when I bought it if he wanted to do some coop with me, as we were gonna be sitting around in the house for like a week once it came. He said yes, so I bought a second controller. To this day he has never played anything on 360. Though the second controller did end up being my PC controller, and if that becomes possible with the Xbox One controller I wouldn't mind having one for my PC.

It's just hard to justify $60 when that could buy a new game. If I had the $60 I'd probably go for it right now just because I'm without. It's not that I don't have anything to play, it's just that I have new games I can't touch right now.
I used to use a 360 wireless pad as a controller for the PC as well through some sort of wireless device for PC, but it got fried when my old motherboard was acting funky.  When I went to look for a replacement device, it was as if Microsoft totally denied it ever existed in the first place.  It was a shame.  Can you use a wireless 360 pad with the play-n-charge kit as a controller for PC?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
Can you use a wireless 360 pad with the play-n-charge kit as a controller for PC?

Nope, the play-n-charge kit for 360 only transfers power across the cable, not data. The Xbox One version transfers power and data across the cable.

I think MS started selling the wireless adapter again. Or maybe just a ton of knockoffs are out there now, but I hear most of them work fine, and with the MS drivers too. I still have mine from back when MS was originally selling them.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
I used to use a 360 wireless pad as a controller for the PC as well through some sort of wireless device for PC, but it got fried when my old motherboard was acting funky.  When I went to look for a replacement device, it was as if Microsoft totally denied it ever existed in the first place.  It was a shame.  Can you use a wireless 360 pad with the play-n-charge kit as a controller for PC?

You know what? Your motherboard probably didn't fry it.  There was some manufacturing defect in a ton of the adapters and they would just up and die for no reason, which is amazing for something like that.  Apparently super easy to fix with a soldering iron (I think some of the solder would just crack from age, breaking a circuit) or clever tinfoil placement.

I know this because I went through the same thing, found the exact same denial of existence from Microsoft, and found a ton of people in the same boat.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #46 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure in my case it was the motherboard. I lost several USB sticks, a mouse, and my hard drives would occasionally disappear.

I can't repair it. I threw it out several years ago.

I wonder why Microsoft got rid of it and totally dropped support. It was a fantastic idea. Maybe they figured they'd make more money if people bought a PC version of the pad?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
It just reminds me that PC gaming can still be the most painful, but man, it is so much better than any console gaming.