Author Topic: dafaq is UPLAY?  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
dafaq is UPLAY?
« on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
So I tried to play Far Cry 3 for the first time which I had bought years ago... and now UPLAY is masturbating on my screen.... what is the point of having a second DRM on STEAM?! ugh. (rant over)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: dafaq is UPLAY?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
So the servers are down and it won't let me log in and play the games I paid for.

hahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

THE FUCK!?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
Should have just bought from Uplay, then you'd only have one DRM scheme to deal with. :P

I bought Assassins Creed Liberation HD. Downloaded it off UPlay. I dunno...it worked ok for me. I guess. I can't actually play since the game requires a newer version of Windows than XP so...I should read game requirements more closely.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
:) It isn't so bad. I am being pissed off for comedic value.

But yes, there are too many platforms now... Steam, UPLAY, Origin!

Also, if you buy something on one platform, then I think it isn't quite right to force you on another also. I guess that's how Ubisoft tries to get people to use their version of Steam, meanwhile Valve get more publisher support... so everyone wins except the customer! :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
Yeah.. sucks.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
I use Enhanced Steam and try to browse the store in a browser instead of the client. This is what it does to Far Cry 3's page for me:

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
I am reviewing games for a magazine here called Spider. This month I am doing Blacklist, the new Splinter Cell.

So they sent me the UPLAY activation code and oh boy did the installation process turn into a clusterfuck. They didn't buy it for me on Steam. They bought it on UPLAY. But FarCry 3 I got on Steam. You'd think this wouldn't cause any issues, but it does:

1. I you want to run FarCry 3, you can't run it directly from Uplay. If you try, it asks you to run through Steam. When you run via Steam, it launches the game through a Uplay window, which isn't exactly the regular Uplay platform, but a separate entity of sorts. (huh?)

2. It is fine if it is a separate entity, but it conflicts with regular Uplay games! So when I had my Uplay open to download Blacklist, I couldn't run FC3 via Steam because it said another Uplay window was already open! And I can't run FC3 through this regular Uplay window, because it wants me to do it via Steam. Again, wth?

3. Yes, it gets worse. If you ran FC3 through Steam, and now decided to play a Uplay game you bought directly, it will want you to close the Steam Uplay shit because of some conflict. Trouble is you can't close it just like that because it doesn't seem to close. Quite often, I have to use CTRL ALT DEL. In fact, I have to use it in both situations... Also, sometimes that doesn't work either, and you have to exit Steam.

What a slapped on clusterfuck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 12:07:09 AM »
I don't know if it still works but one workaround I used before is to download a pirated cop of the Ubisoft title and install it instead, then when it asks fr the key just enter your legitimate key and you'll have the Uplay-only version of the game installed.

I did that with Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Splinter Cell Conviction, and some of the older Assassin's Creed games and I had a smoother, simpler experience than having to run Steam & Uplay simultaneously. I haven't tried that with Blacklist, Black Flag, or Far Cry 3 though. One other method is to launch the game using its exe in the installation folder instead of through Steam, not sure if that will work with FC3 though.

By the way, I have noticed that Uplay now distinguishes between direct Uplay games and Steam-acquired keys. For some reason all the Uplay games I got through Steam are listed as "installed" in Uplay even though they are not installed at all. I also cannot download them through Uplay, they have to be downloaded through Steam. I can launch through Uplay but it will force Steam to launch. Interestingly enough, if you launch the game through Uplay, with Steam already open, the game will launch but you won't be able to use the Steam overlay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
So I tried to play Far Cry 3 for the first time which I had bought years ago... and now UPLAY is masturbating on my screen.... what is the point of having a second DRM on STEAM?! ugh. (rant over)
Whether it's on Ubi's end, Valve's end, or whatever - the problem is Steam CEG is actually being forced here to run in the background while you run any of Ubi's games, since UbiSoft also has their own damn client nowadays.
Or Ubi just needs to disable UPlay (Lite version) in the Steam-version.

Some G4WL games on Steam-version, after you do the download via Steam, then you can run the game w/out Steam running in the background - i.e. GTA4 + EFLC and RF:G work this way.
What you do - is go into the game-folder and boot the EXE, launcher, or whatever the unprotected file is while Steam's closed.
Once you find file - you can make a shortcut of that file from the game-folder and throw it on your desktop.

I certainly do try to avoid getting Steam-versions of games when there are multiple-DRM's and/or multiple game-clients are involved in that version (i.e. see Max Payne 3 PC Steam-version w/ its numerous DRM's and clients) - unless it's just so much damn cheaper to go w/ the Steam-version.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »
I beg to differ. The problem is each publisher having their own DRM/platform and shoehorning it into the product. Granted, Ubi's Uplay platform is better integrated into their games with rewards and Upoints but in reality it adds no benefit to the player and is essentially unnecessary.

A few months ago they had to disable Cloud Sync, Uplay's one and only redeeming quality, due to a lot of complaints of saves being lost (myself included). The feature is not back yet and Uplay is little more than massive luggage I have to drag around any time I play a Ubisoft game.

The best example of good practice is what WB did with Batman Arkham City: the retail version and all non-Steam versions used GFWL, however the Steam version did not, it used Steamworks exclusively. Even in the main menu the "Live Store" button was changed to "Steam Store." The best news came after the announcement of GFWL's impending demise; all versions of the game have completely removed GFWL and opted for Steamworks (which in my mind is the lesser of two evils).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
"I beg to differ. The problem is each publisher having their own DRM/platform and shoehorning it into the product."

Pretty much. I just want to deal with one. If I buy from Steam then don't add UPLAY.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
And here I thought Steam alone would keep me away from PC gaming.  Juggling multiple DRM schemes sure isn't helping change my mind.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
And here I thought Steam alone would keep me away from PC gaming.  Juggling multiple DRM schemes sure isn't helping change my mind.
Yeah, it's turning into a frickin' circus.. And not the good kind.

When it comes to Steam it's a double-edged sword. It comes with useful features but your games are bound to it. It'll give you your fix but you'll have to perform some... favours.

In an image, this is Steam:

Despite its issues I still find it to be the best of the steaming pile of digital distribution/management suites. Impulse used to be my favourite (I'm always rooting for the underdog) but since GameStop took over it's turned into a complete wasteland. Origin and Uplay have a shot but in their current iterations they can't even hold a candle to Steam's features and functionality.

I'm still very impressed with GOG.com and their DRM-free model but that obviously restricts them from getting the AAA titles. Nonetheless, you can still get brand new titles that are indie or B-class but still awesome games. In that range I love the Humble Bundle because they usually give you the DRM-free version as well as the Steam version, ultimately giving customers the choice.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
To be honest, this has been my only such experience and Uplay has improved after restarting my system. Those issues aren't occuring anymore, which is strange.

Cobra, come back to PC gaming. Steam isn't so bad if you have broadband and let it start with your system. Give it time to settle. :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
Had a funny thing happen today. Went to Goodwill and was looking through their games. Some old PS2 sports games, nothing too great. Then I saw some PC games! Score!

Er...well...no. First was Guild Wars 2, which is an MMO so the key is probably already used. I almost thought about buying it for $2 for the discs themselves in case they run another free weekend, but I passed. The second game there was Spec Ops: The Line. I've been wanting to check it out but then I saw it was published by 2K...sure enough, Steam required. Which meant that this one also most likely has the key tied to an account and thus the disc is basically worthless. Last PC game was Doom 3 which doesn't tie itself to some online account and was something I could buy. Too bad I already did buy it....a decade ago.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 02, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
I remember in early 2000 when I was in Canada and would go through the bargain bins. They were filled with utter trash! Today, Doom 3 in the bargain bin sounds pretty good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 02, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
"I beg to differ. The problem is each publisher having their own DRM/platform and shoehorning it into the product."

Pretty much. I just want to deal with one. If I buy from Steam then don't add UPLAY.

I doubt the dev's + pub's are ADDING DRM stuff on top of the Steam-version.

It's the other way around.
They're wrapping STEAM DRM on top of whatever they're using as their own 1st party DRM + client.

EDIT:
This is why I try to avoid buying Rockstar + UbiSoft games from Steam.
I try to get the Non-Steam versions b/c they use normally at least ONE LESS piece of DRM (no Steam on those Non-Steam versions, normally).

EDIT 2:
And here I thought Steam alone would keep me away from PC gaming.  Juggling multiple DRM schemes sure isn't helping change my mind.
Then don't buy Steam-versions of games from companies who have their own 1st party DRM/clients (like Rockstar + UbiSoft).